Thursday 11 July 2013

Week 2....still? !

I would dearly love to reply to all of your amazing comments, but unable to find out whether this is possible....but just to say how much I appreciate them all ;)


Here is today's blog post......enjoy!

Late finishing work today, as slightly dishy VIP Professor visiting for a meeting this afternoon with my boss.  My twitter friends will know how miffed I was on his last visit when my boss got a kiss and I didn't, (even though I had prepared the most fabulous lunch for him!)  Well, it seems that my life in the bus lane is making me bolder (if not balder, through pulling my hair out in exasperation!)....and when he arrived this afternoon, instead of staying behind my impressive reception desk I made sure that I was 'free-range' and so when he greeted me I was loitering with intent and not hidden behind the reception desk barrier and I walked up to him to shake his hand....and he kissed me on both cheeks!! Haha! Finally I have been recognised as a top-class PA and not just somebody hiding behind 4ft of the finest wood!

So....I digress....but basically I had to hang around 'in case of need' (a document, a file, a cup of tea) - like an unspoken agreement between my boss and myself....although she made a point of thanking me twice for staying behind which was very nice. (As if I dared do any different haha!)  I know after 7 years what is expected of me!

I locked up and alarmed at 17.25 and wended my weary way down the longer-than-average driveway, and....I know you believe me because not a word of this blog is untrue...I reach the ornate cast iron gates just as the bus I want to catch zooms past.  For a moment my heart leaps, as the bus hasn't stopped at my usual bus stop, but has stopped around the corner......could the driver know me, and that I need to get this bus, and stopped just for me? Well of course not.  We're not in dreamland here.  He'd stopped to drop off a passenger who had more than likely pressed the 'stop' button too late for the driver's mind to engage.  (This happened to me a few years back when I was using the bus and I rang the bell but the driver didn't deign to stop for another half a mile and I got off, in the snow, tired and hungry and with my shopping and promptly burst into tears.)  So it does happen that occasionally the driver isn't paying attention.

I trudged....yes, trudged, as was tired after 2 busy days at work although hadn't been buggered by any member of the postal service today....to the local Post Office (yes, the one that sells wine) to post something for my boss.  Oh, and quite possibly purchase a bottle of something white, chilled and grapey whilst I was there.  I feel it is rude not to.  I do like to support my local retailer!

Sarah was behind the counter in the shop today, and I haven't seen her for a while and so we got chatting. I ended up regaling my story about why I was without my car, and when I left the shop she said 'I hope the bus comes soon' to which I replied 'Thanks, but hopefully not before I reach the bus stop!'

I reached said bus stop a few minutes later, and noticed for the first time that the vertical blinds in the house next to number 75 had all of their vertically-blinded windows erm....blinded (i.e. blinds all closed).  How very odd.  The only reason I can now think of is that the bus stops right outside their houses and they are fed up of passengers looking in.  I'm thinking nets are possibly a better privacy-enabling alternative to perpetual darkness?

Anyway.....as I trudged past, I did notice that the bird-bath in the front garden of number 75 looked a tad strange...i.e. red.....so either they have painted the bird-bath pre-water or the bird-bath is filled with blood!  It has to be one or the other, surely?!!  Maybe.....that's why Sidney the Snail has suddenly disappeared without trace?  Makes you think, eh? Strange goings on.....

I had missed a bus by 4 minutes by the way, so had just the 17 minutes to wait as I mulled this over.  Oh!  A new local resident appeared...an elderly lady a few doors down, putting out her wheelie bin for collection tomorrow.  White haired, slippers on, and one of those 'school cook' type tabard  (a double apron with tabs on the shoulders that you slip on....I hope I have the right word), which made me want to ask whether she had the chip pan on, as she seemed the sort of woman who would rustle up sausage, egg and chips at the drop of a hat without even blinking.  Or, as we Derbyshire folk say, 'Is chip pan on?' because we often seem to omit the word 'the', (which I think is probably overused anyway, and not that exciting on the Scrabble board either come to think of it).

Only one thing of note whilst waiting for said bus.......a rather nice looking driver of a bus going the other way looked at me and smiled.

18.02 and the bus turned up bang on time.  Apologies, but I was too tired to even check out the other passengers this evening, just wanting to get home.

Footnote:

Tomorrow I will be calling the local garage to see if they have a delivery date for the part for my car, and chivvy them along a bit, also I need to ensure that the very second they receive this part they are primed and ready to whip it onto my car.  I don't want them to contact me and say the part has arrived and they can fit me in a week on Wednesday. Ohhhhhh, nooooooo! 












5 comments:

Rob said...

'Loitering with intent'!..sounds good to me!..and lucky VIP professor, getting to kiss you on both cheeks!

Well done you on supporting local business! Wine sounds good :)

Good luck in getting your car back in operation soon :)

You've made me smile yet again :)

Anonymous said...

Four foot wood.. *thinks: No no no.. restrain yourself*

Surprised you didn't find an urgent reason to be traveling the other way ;)

I will miss these when you get your car back! Please don't stop! :)

kathrynruthd said...

I got notification about your test comment...did it not work?

Can't believe you got kissed...on both cheeks too! Definitely worth coming out from behind your desk for that :)

As for all the shenanigans with number 75 and neighbours...your mind does seem to work in strange ways. Lol! A blood filled birdbath? Maybe they are vampires at no. 75...now look...you've got me at it!

Unknown said...

You got a notification re test comment? Sounds promising...although I didn't think it had worked so deleted it haha! Let me know if this is in reply to your comment please? xx

kathrynruthd said...

Notification just says you left a comment. It doesn't say it's a reply to mine nor does it look like a reply on your blog. I notice that there is no option for readers to reply to other people's comments which there is on Wordpress. I don't know if there's any settings you can change...not familiar with Blogspot at all...sorry. x