Thursday 18 July 2013

Day 4 - Penultimate week

I do believe that today I set a world record, as in 30 minutes door to door!

Usually a later finish for me on a Thursday, as the housekeeper now has Fridays off too, therefore I have to wash all the mugs up before I leave.  Being quite an alien experience for me, this washing up lark, it takes me a while to get the hang of it.

Feeling quite blasé and therefore not even checking the bus times, I stroll down the longer-than-average driveway at around 16.50.  To my joy, upon scrutinising the not-punched-in-because-it-is-a-posh-street timetable, I see that a bus is due within minutes, without me having to dodge the traffic or leap in front of it doing star-jumps.

A few minutes later up it trundles, my favourite blue and orange vision ever, and I pay £2.60 (harsh lesson learnt) and request a return ticket to the local town, which I find does indeed, for today, cost £2.60.

I get off, and stand there trying to recall why I went into town today, then realised it was because I couldn't be bothered to walk to the local Post Office/seller of everyday essentials. (And yes, Kathryn, you are absolutely correct in your assumption!)

There was a lady randomly sitting outside one of the shops opposite my bus stop, who was regarding me somewhat curiously as I was standing there wondering whether I had been wanting to turn left or right upon getting off the bus.  I decided I wanted to go to my right, and gave the lady a little wave and called, 'I'm not sure where I'm wanting to go!' to which she smiled and waved back, and I relaxed in the knowledge that she wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I purchased the necessary supplies at the shop around the corner, and headed for the bus stop, feeling guilty as usual for pressing the button on the pedestrian crossing and stopping the traffic.  I reached the bus stop, and upon inspecting the definitely-punched-in timetable I saw with much excitement that a bus was due! No sooner had I put my shopping bags down and there it was, looming around the corner towards me like a blue and orange mirage.  I thrust out my hand defiantly, and gathered up my shopping.  Upon embarking, and realising the driver was a friendly chap, I questioned him whilst he tore my return ticket 'Do you have to stick your hand out these days, or is it just me that does this?'
'If you don't stick your hand out then we probably won't stop', he replied.
A passenger standing up next to the driver said 'You can stick owt you want out, love'
The driver responded 'Stick your leg out, or anything'.

I left it at that and took a seat, feeling this wasn't a conversation I felt inclined to pursue further.

No passengers particularly stood out today, except maybe the lanky-haired  goth looking guy dressed in black and the only reason he stood out was because I was thinking how hot he must be wearing all black.

The bus emptied at each stop, and nobody deemed to get on.  Hence, the bus was almost empty, when a voice shouted extremely loudly from the rear of the bus to the guy standing talking to the driver, making me almost jump out of my skin.  Talk about Gob Almighty. I'm sure I'm still deafened from the sudden onslaught.  She was shouting at someone on the same (empty-ish) bus, not somebody in the next County FFS. My goodness!

At least this sudden temporary deafness and shock distracted me from the deep pink Austrian blinds house and the neighbouring shouldn't-be-legal purple paintwork of the neighbouring house en route.  I did, however, spot a house with 2 flags up....one, the Union Flag, the other, a Skull and Crossbones.  This needs to be investigated further, and quite possibly with a camera crew and full police presence and an armed-response team on standby.

I got off the bus, at the same time jubilant that door-to-door was a mere 30 minutes today, and also ready to collapse under the intense heat.  Only one week to go, I think, pushing myself to carry those bags and not faint until I get inside my house.

Yes, come Monday afternoon, I can call the local garage who have promised to chase my long awaited part that day.  I will, naturally, keep you posted on developments.

For the followers who have consistently asked about Sidney, I have good news.  I received a text message from him today, saying how happy he was in the Retirement Home and was a big hit with the ladies there, and had forged a friendship with Cynthia the Snail.

Seems like Sidney is having a snail of a time! (puts fingers in ears to drown out the groans and boos)

Well, you did ask!














3 comments:

Julian Hall said...

Penultimate you hope! :)


I dread to think what you'd stick out in front of the bus, although I suspect a bus crash may figure in your future, courtesy of a distracted bus driver :)

Loving the blog :-)

Rob said...

I'd have probably jumped a mile, if I'd had the same passenger on the bus as you did!

Good news about Sidney the snail!

An excellent blog as always :) x

kathrynruthd said...

Snorting with laughter here about what you might stick out to stop the bus...might need to ensure you'd properly supported first ;)